FW: open socket in java

From: Nin|a405 (ninja405at_private)
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 09:40:51 PST

    Thanks,
    Ninja405

    -----Original Message-----
    From:	matt [mailto:mattsat_private]
    Sent:	Wednesday, February 10, 1999 10:42 AM
    To:	BUGTRAQat_private
    Subject:	re:open socket in java

    Some of this stuff does not sound right.  I'm not a security expert, but my
    status as a Java Nut leaves me little choice but to wade in, guns blazing...
    :) Since I'm dropping into the middle of this thread, I should say that I
    assume we are talking about using Java Applets within a browser that has a
    proper Java Virtual Machine (JVM) which runs applets in a sandbox.
    <some guy wrote>
    > ...Unbenknownst to
    > the company or the branch office, the applet has actually opened a
    > listen socket, has accepted a connection from the applet's original
    > author...
    The JVM sandbox (if working normally) only allows socket connections back to
    the URL of the http server that the browser got the applet from.  If the
    applet is served up by a trusted host, then the bad-guy has to conquer that
    host before he can get the private data.  If a user is browsing around the
    web, using executable content from a strangers web page to process company
    data, well the world will be well served by that company's disappearance
    from the market :)
    <some other guy replied>
    >the missing information here that this scenario doesn't contain,
    >is that the applet's original author must know the host that the
    >applet is running on, in order to connect to the applet.

    The sandbox should prevent such a connection. Did I miss an assumption from
    earlier discussion?
    >This information can be easily sent by the applet to the bad guy
    >by making a http request - hiding information in the URL. We
    >implemented this type of communication, allowing a java applet
    >to communicate with an arbitary server

    This does not sound right.  The JVM does not know an http request from any
    other kind of socket activity, so it should refuse communications via ports
    80 like all the rest, unless the connection is to the applet source URL .
    Could the writer please amplify this statement?  Are we talking about Java
    or JavaScript?

    --
    Matthew Sexton (mattsat_private) Advanced Technology Video, Inc.
    Redmond, Wa 98052 Voice: 425-885-7000 x263 Fax:  425-881-7014