Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: Joel Eriksson (na98jenat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 08:26:04 PST

    On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Darren Reed wrote:

    > In some mail from der Mouse, sie said:
    > [...]
    > > Surely this is a bit of a no-brainer - why not just try the exploit and
    > > see if it works?  That's certainly what an attacker will do.
    >
    > Let me hit you with another suggestion: if you know something about a
    > box which suggests that an attack won't work, why try it ?

    Bannerchecking is a good example of this. But the problem is that banners
    are often changed to add an extra layer of protection, as many attackers
    rely on this to determine whether a box is vulnerable or not, to avoid
    "wasting time".. (Scriptkiddies does not though, since they try the
    exploit anyway, even if the exploit is written for a totally different
    architecture.. ;-)

    Why should a securityscanner do the same mistakes as an attacker often
    does? The determined attackers would find these holes..

    > For example, if I do a port scan and cannot connect to the smtp port
    > and later amongst the list of things to check are various sendmail
    > bugs, should I still try them ?

    This I agree with though. It all goes down to what methods you use to
    "determine" whether some attacks are useless to try, and if these methods
    can be relied on to make a conclusion on whether it's useless to make an
    exploit attempt. (Which I think the scanner should do, whenever possible)

    Another problem appears when one realizes that services not always is
    available on the same TCP/UDP portnumbers (SMTP obviously is though).
    Maybe this is changed for exactly the same reason as before, adding an
    extra layer of security.. And for local securitychecks, path/file names
    certainly can vary, this is a tough one to implement in a scanner
    satisfactory.. Cryptographical checksums is not of any use when the
    program was not from a binary distribution, but configured and compiled
    from source.

    This was not meant as criticism against Darren's posting. Rather some
    general opinions on securityscanners as a concept.

    > Darren

    / Joel Eriksson