Frontpage extensions under Apache 1.3.4

From: Sitzkrieg Redundus (sitzat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 15:31:23 PST

    I spent the bulk my time a few days back convincing the Frontpage 98
    extensions and Apache 1.3.4 (patched with patch version 3.0.4.3) to play
    nicely. After banging my head against it for a few hours, I got things to
    what I thought was a workable point, and fired up httpd. And got an error
    back about there being a syntax error on line 1 of /dev/null.

    *blink*

    By default, Apache 1.3.4 places all runtime directives in httpd.conf, and
    leaves srm.conf and access.conf empty.

    >From the default httpd.conf:

    " You can have the server ignore these files altogether by using
    '/dev/null' (for Unix) or  "nul" (for Win32) for the arguments to the
    directives."

    Great. Except that when creating a root web, fp_install.sh calls
    fpsrvadm.exe, which moves the file specified by the "ResourceConfig"
    directive "file.bak" and installs its own. Thus, on systems running the
    Apache 1.3.4 where the user has followed the advice in the
    httpd.conf (or
    *any* Apache install which points ResourceConfig and AccessConfig to
    /dev/null for that matter) we see before:

    stanis# ls -la /dev/null
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       1,   3 Feb  4 16:35 /dev/null

    and after:

    -rw-rw-r--   1 root     root           67 Feb  4 17:56 /dev/null
    crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       1,   3 Feb  4 16:35 /dev/null.bak

    Silly fpsrvadm.... what have we told you about playing with character
    devices? Heh... nothing, it seems.

    When I spoke with Ready-to-Run on the phone, they indicated
    that Apache 1.3.4 wasn't a supported platform. As previously noted,
    however this doesn't just effect Apache 1.3.4. Ready-to-Run software
    was notified of this a week ago via their bug reporting system and by
    phone.

    Noah Robin