Re: Linux /usr/bin/gnuplot overflow

From: Marc SCHAEFER (schaeferat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 06 1999 - 00:41:36 PST

    > /etc/rc.config and set PERMISSION_SECURITY="paranoid". That way gnuplot

    warning, warning.

    permissions.paranoid is not supported by SuSE --- it was contributed
    by me. It only fixes the problems that SuSE 5.0 had. When I have
    some time again, I will do the same work with a full install of
    SuSE 6.0.

    At least without clear information from SuSE that /etc/permissions.paranoid
    is uptodate, I would not count on it to be _absolutely_ paranoid.
    After all, you are supposed to do your homeworks yourself, too :)

    Also, for it to work, it needs a few things, such as an ``xok'' group,
    etc, look at the start of that file.

    > root@laser:/home/andrea# grep gnuplot /etc/permissions.paranoid
    > # WHY ON HELL was gnuplot suid root !!!!!
    > /usr/bin/gnuplot                       root.root        755

    I remember my very clean statements about this problem :)

    The ``reason'', as someone pointed out, is the SVGALib. For me that's
    a very bad reason to suid --- by default --- an executable.