Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Jim Paris (jimat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 11:17:43 PST

    > The difference between MS98-016 and your examples is simple.  The bulletin
    > addressed an issue where an external site could, without your control, fool
    > your browser into thinking a remote site was "local intranet".

    And this can occur with my examples as well.  I didn't control it at
    all.

    > In your
    > examples, the user must choose specific settings to allow the problem to
    > occur.  If you are concerned about the problem, simply remove .com, etc.
    > from your DNS suffix search, and don't put nasty hosts in your hosts file.

    Just because I added a DNS suffix search order and put hosts into my
    hosts file does not (or, at least, SHOULD not) mean that I am choosing
    "specific settings to allow the problem to occur".  How was I supposed
    to know that simplifying my life by adding a search suffix of ".com" was
    opening me up to a vulnerability?

    > In the end, this is not a "bug" in the browser - it's a configuration
    > problem.  While worthy of mention, it does not deserve flamage.

    No, this is a bug in the browser.  Changing something over at point A
    shouldn't affect my security at point B.

    -jim