Re: More Internet Explorer zone confusion

From: Paul Leach (paulleat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 11:58:55 PST

    That's correct.
    I believe that the rule for Intranet zone is simple -- if the name has no
    "." and is less than 15 characters long, then it's Intranet zone. This
    algorithm works with the default configuration of Windows. If you configure
    your machine so that the above assumption is violated, then you'll get a
    mis-classification.

    When designing better ways of doing this, keep in mind that the primary tool
    that the browser has to work with is "gethostbyname" -- which, IMO, doesn't
    return enough information about how the name was resolved to be helpful for
    security purposes (even though it garnered some in the process of
    resolution). For example, it doesn't say whether /etc/hosts or LMHOSTS was
    used to resolve the name, or which DNS search suffix was used.

    Paul