Re: Digital Unix 4 protected password database.

From: Keith Piepho (kapat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 14:30:10 PST

    At 05:47 PM 3/10/99 +0000, you wrote:

    >Paul Leyland told me, many years ago, that one or more of the
    >"Enhanced Security" crypt-replacements are actually less secure
    >than traditional crypt() in many respects.
    >
    >Consider the:
    >
    >	crypt first 8 chars
    >	crypt remaining 8 chars
    >	join the two ciphertexts
    >
    >...mechanism; assuming people choose passwords which are (a) plain
    >dictionary words and (b) only slightly longer than 8 characters, then:
    >
    >	plaintext = wheatsheaf
    >	first 8 chars = wheatshe
    >	last 8 chars = af
    >
    >...the cracker may brute-force the latter ciphertext with its implicit
    >small keyspace, and then (eg:) go hunting for words in dictionaries
    >which are 10 characters long and whose last characters are "af",
    >thereby possibly reducing the search space for the first 8 characters
    >*very* significantly.

    I think your specific example here is a little off, since it assumes that a
    cracker has the encrypted password and a dictionary that contains it.  If
    these two suppositions are true, the fight is already over, and you have
    lost.

    Focusing on the case in which the password is a dictionary word obscures
    the real problem:  to compensate for the insecurity of an 8 character
    password, DEC has replaced it with what appears to be a 16 character
    password scheme, but is in reality just 2 8 character passwords, doubling
    instead of squaring the size of the keyspace that must be searched.  (and
    much less than doubling, in the case of the all-too-frequent short second
    keys which will occur.)  Nothing like the illusion of security to keep the
    managers sleeping soundly at night.

    The alternate scheme you mention (in the part I cut) of encrypting the
    first 8 characters and the last 8 seems to me to result in a 16 char
    keyspace.  Clever.

    	-- - keith
    --
    Keith Piepho                    kapat_private
    Technical Services              (330) 972-6130