More procmail

From: Chris Evans (chrisat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 11:40:37 PDT

    Hi,

    Well well since Debian appear to have "broken silence" on the procmail
    front rather than wait for an official announcement...

    I found something potentially more serious than boring heap overflows. It
    is allegedly fixed in the latest procmail release but I haven't checked.

    As a summary local users can dump the contents of any file to screen. As a
    comment I would suggest anyone running procmail with elevated privs either

    a) Needs their head examined or
    b) Hasn't read the code.

    Here is a quote of a previous mail I sent various people when I first
    found the file handling issue. I also recommended to the procmail team
    that they review _all_ of their file handling code. I have no idea whether
    this recommendation was taken on board or not..

    Cheers
    Chris

    -----8<--------

    However on to more interesting things, I have found a much more serious
    security hole in procmail's file handling which can lead to users dumping
    the contents of arbitrary files they should not be able to read to the
    screen.

    The faulty code sequence is in the handling of .procmailrc files and goes
    something like

    1) stat .procmailrc (as root) - if it can't be stat'ed keep root privs
    2) open .procmailrc
    3) do lstat on .procmailrc for security check

    By replacing .procmailrc after steps 1) and 2) with a symlink to the file
    to dump and a regular file respectively, we can win a race condition.

    You might not think this is a very plausible race but with a few deep
    directory/multiple symlink tricks/SIGSTOP/etc. the window can be made
    quite wide. This is definitely exploitable.