Re: Digital Unix 4.0E /var permission

From: implosion (implosionat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 08:18:28 PDT

    	First of all, under Digital UNIX, the system group is the group that is
    'pseudo-root', i.e. have near root privilages and are allowed to su into
    root.  /var, which under a default install, is a sym-link to /usr/var,
    contains all of the system accounting files, LSM, and other system
    specific files that all System Administrators would need to run thier
    system.  So, it is only logical that system have write permissions to that
    directory.
    	Also, one should note that any system administrator should (and
    would, I would hope), only put _secure_ accounts in the system group, i.e.
    any account that is going to utilize a safe password and those accounts
    are not going to have set-uid or gid executables attached to them.
    	One more note:  as an ls -la of /sbin/rc3.d would show you,
    S95xlogin is only a sym-link to /sbin/init.d/xlogin.  The S95 is there so
    when init comes up to run level 3, it will start (the  S tells it that),
    and the 95 is placed there to put it in order - you add a numeric number
    to the front of the executable, so when the rc3 script processes
    /sbin/rc3.d, it gets launched after certain daemons and programs that need
    to be running in order for it to start. To the best of my knowledge,
    xlogin isnt doing anything to the /var permissions.

    -Implosion