Re: Digital Unix 4.0E /var permission

From: Paul Szabo (pszat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 14:43:02 PDT

    Jochen Thomas Bauer <jtbat_private-STUTTGART.DE> writes:
    > On Sun, 4 Apr 1999 Harhalakis Stefanos wrote:
    >> On Digital Unix 4.0E with the latest patch kit aplied, after a new
    >> installation /var has g+w for group system.
    > This problem seems to exist in other versions of Digital Unix, too.

    True. I solved this by not having any users in the system group.

    >> The whole thing is done while executing /sbin/rc3.d/S95xlogin and
    >> only if CDE is selected.
    > This does not seem to be the case for Digital Unix 4.0c and 4.0d.
    > There is no chmod of /var in /sbin/rc3.d/S95xlogin.

    I guess it is done within /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin.

    Beware also of permissions on /var/dt. In my /sbin/init.d/xlogin I have
    inserted (within the function StartDisplayManager(), after the line
    '$X_DISPLAY_MANAGER -daemon $CONFIG_OPTION'):

    ### Change by PSz on 12 Nov 96
    ### Stupid /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin uses 'chmod 777 /var/dt'. This is bad...
    ### Also watch out for /usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/0030.dttmpdir
    chmod 755 /var/dt > /dev/null 2>&1
    # Sleep to make sure dtlogin is finished, do again
    sleep 10
    chmod 755 /var/dt > /dev/null 2>&1
    ### End of change

    Paul Szabo - System Manager   //        School of Mathematics and Statistics
    pszat_private         //   University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia