Re: ARP problem in Windows9X/NT

From: gandalfat_private
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 11:22:29 PDT

    On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Joel Jacobson wrote:

    > Hello all bugtraqers!
    >
    > I've found a problem in Windows9X/NT's way of handeling ARP packets.
    >
    > If you flood a computer at your LAN with the packet below, it's user
    > will be forced to click a messagebox's OK button x times, where x is the number
    > of packets you flooded with.
    [snip]
    >And in HEX the packet look like this:
    >ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 06 08 00 06 04 00 01 00 00 00
    >00 00 00 XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 00 00 00 XX XX XX XX
    >(XX is what matters here)

    Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but sending out arp requests like this only
    generates a single messagebox.  If you send one or a million requests in
    the time it takes to click ok, no new messageboxes will appear.

    This is on NT4 sp4.

    The packet I am sending out seems a tad different from the one listed,
    the hex dump above seems to be missing the hardware address type.
    anyways, what I sent was:

    ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 00 00
    08 06 00 01 08 00 06 04 00 01
    00 00 00 00 00 00 XX XX XX XX
    00 00 00 00 00 00 XX XX XX XX

    -chris

    Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
    gandalfat_private       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

    Life would be much easier if we could just look at the source code