Re: Possible security hole

From: Robert Ståhlbrand (robert.stahlbrandat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 05:41:23 PDT

    As a reseller of FW-1 I think I should add something to this discussion.

    It is indeed possible to do something bad during this time. You have
    about 10 seconds when the FW-1 answers ping and if you portscan for
    something that you know is open on the machine (of course, a correct
    configured FW-1 has no services available) you will see that you can
    reach this service for about 2-3 seconds.
    I tried to delay the FW-1 so that we could have some more time then just
    2-3 seconds with a combination of a ping- and fragmentation-flood and
    yes, I got more time. About 20-30 seconds.
    During this time the machine is very slow but I succeeded to do
    something "bad" on this time since I mapped the c: which is shared by
    default on NT.
    What I could have done more was to replace the binary for the rule-set
    with a "any any any accept" rule-base and NOW we've done something bad!

    I also tried to route packets through the FW-1 during this period but
    did not succeed.

    It's not very hard no write a program in for example perl to do all the
    above automatically. You got to know the login-name for administrator
    and the password of course so we got to have that first.
    What we also want is to be able to reboot the FW-1/NT-server remotly
    with some kind of DoS-attack but this is indeed possible when running on
    NT. No details here but there are problems in NT that causes the machine
    to BSoD. I'm pretty sure that someone soon will post something about
    this issue 8-).

    I've recently been in touch with Checkpoint regarding this issue and
    their answer is that they cannot control this because of the underlaying
    operating system. What they can control is IP Forwarding (thank god).

    So what do we learn?
    1) Don't run FW-1 on NT.
    2) If you do it anyway, be very careful with the configuration and strip
    it from every service not needed!!!!!!

    Cheers,
    Robert Ståhlbrand, Salcom AB