Re: Plain text passwords--necessary

From: Daniel Alex Finkelstein (dfinkelsat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 15:23:14 PDT

    And we could go even further: certificates. The DCE-PKI RFC 68.4 takes
    Kerberos to a new level: certificate-granting-certificates. This RFC
    specifies the extension of DCE (particularly the Kerberos part) to include
    certificate capabilities. I'd provide the URL to the RFC, but it seems to
    have vanished from all the usual sites...

    On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Trevor Schroeder wrote:

    > It seems to me that a lot of this could be avoided using tickets similar to
    > Kerberos.  We have a trusted third party (TTP) that receives your
    > credentials once and returns a ticket for a set of services with a given
    > lifetime.  This ticket is good only within a certain context (certain
    > services, servers, clients, times, dates, you name it and it can be rolled
    > into the ticket).  That way if the ticket is compromised, it is of limited
    > use (versus a full blown password with may be useful in other contexts.)

    Daniel Alex Finkelstein
    New Technologies
    phone   212-383-2951
    pager   917-427-1630
    fax	212-383-3289
    Securities Industry Automation Corporation