Re: RH Linux telnet problems

From: Dalvenjah FoxFire (dalvenjahat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 12:31:11 PDT

    On Thu, Apr 15, 1999 at 03:30:02AM -0800, Rui Ribeiro put this into my mailbox:

    > Today, when trying to log into a machine, I mistakenly used telnet over
    > ssh. True, the RH 5.2 box is configured for not allowing root login. The
    > only problem is that is still asks for the password after learning root
    > is logging. It denied access only after the password was introduced.
    >
    > It should issue a error and not ask for the password, since otherwise
    > it's defeating the whole purpose of denying root telnet access. The
    > purpose, of course, it's preventing the raw transmission over the
    > communication media.

    No, the purpose is to prevent someone who has the root password but not
    a normal account password from logging into the machine as root directly.
    While it's not a great layer of security, it does mean that the cracker
    has to sniff/crack two passwords instead of just one to gain root access.

    This is the same reason that most sane '/bin/su' programs require the
    person doing '/bin/su -' to root to be in the 'root' or 'wheel' group.

    These sort of restrictions were in place long before ssh or kerberos were
    released.

    -dalvenjah

    --
     Dalvenjah FoxFire (aka Sven Nielsen)  "Command new weapons like dragons,
     Founder, the DALnet IRC Network       griffins, and eleven [sic] archers."