Bug in WinNT 4.0 SP4

From: Alvaro Gilabert (agilabertat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 10:15:36 PDT

    Hi,
    I supose it is a bug and I will explain why do I think so
    You can exceed the limit in the number of chars allowed in a filename. WinNT does allow it. You can move a folder to a deeper one exceeding it.
    But, when you try to backup that folder, the backup program (BackupExec and WinNT Backup) crashes and reboots the server.
    If you try to backup thru a network drive (using another server and mapping that folder), then it crashes and reboot the server also. Not the server that is making the backup but the server that has the wrong folder.
    That's a but because WinNT, supposing to be a fileserver, should take care of this.
    Recently, Mindspring released a report comparing WinNT vs. RedHat, sponsored by Microsoft. This point was missed in the comparison.
    Alvaro Gilabert
    ICQ UIN 2316344