Re: Bug in WinNT 4.0 SP4

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 13:13:54 PDT

    At 04:36 PM 4/26/99 -0400, Paul Gracy wrote:
    >I must disagree.  Any action that a program takes that can crash a server is
    >a bug.  Period.

    I did not say it wasn't a bug.  A bug, by definition, is something that
    causes an application (or even the whole OS) to crash or otherwise
    malfunction.  So you are not disagreeing with anything I _said_.  If you
    can make something go splat, then it is a bug.  No arguments there.

    >The fact that properly using the SDK and following all the 'rules of
    >microsoft' would prevent the crash is not an excuse.

    No excuses were being made.  Please do not manufacture excuses when they
    are not present.

    The only point was that Alvaro seemed to think that it was a problem that
    moving a folder could result in a total path which is > MAX_PATH.  So far
    as I know, this isn't a problem, since if you are correctly handling the
    open, you can deal with extremely long paths.  I thought that others might
    have the same sort of issue, and also thought that few people would know
    that bit of arcane trivia, so I was trying to point out how you might deal
    with this correctly.  In general, using API calls correctly, and knowing
    various bits of trivia from the documentation is a Good Thing, and perhaps
    might save others from having their app go down.

    I was NOT saying that crashing is not a bug.  That would be ridiculous.
    Neither the little backup app that comes with NT, or the Seagate product
    (which as far as I know, both sprung from Arcada, which Seagate bought) are
    favorites of mine.  And before anyone asks, I really don't have something I
    can recommend.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private