Re: bug in ssh allowing to be invissible

From: Joe Gross (jgrossat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 12:22:04 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 03:30:20PM +0200, Grzegorz Stelmaszek wrote:

    > I have just discoverd that there is a bug in sshd allowing ordinary user
    > to be showed as not logged in while logged in. You should simply ssh to
    > remote host and run command "bash". One that's not so good, is that you
    > will not have the controlling terminal, but ...

    You've been able to do this forever with rsh. It's because when you run
    "ssh host bash" you're running a non-interactive non-login shell. Normally
    you'd use this procedure to run non-interactive processes remotely but
    running a shell is just an easy way of running arbitrary processes
    remotely. It's really no different from running "ssh host ls".

    You don't get put in the utmp because you're technically not "logging in."
    This also isn't really a security vulnerability because they is by design.

    Your "bash" process will still show in a ps listing.

    Logs are still kept by sshd itself and by process accounting if the admin
    has turned it on.