Re: Discus advisory.

From: Elaich Of Hhp (hhpat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 16:50:34 PDT

    On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Ian R. Justman wrote:
    > Showed this to my boss because one of our customers (one whose account we
    > are currently reviewing) runs this script.
    >
    > If this is running under Linux, FreeBSD or any system with a decent shadow
    > password system or something similar AND a sanely-configured web server,
    > e.g. with CGIwrap, any internal wrappering which runs scripts as the owner
    > of the script like any later version of Apache with the integrated setuid
    > wrapper, or at the very least just outright running scripts as an
    > arbitrary unprivileged user, there is no problem.  You can't read
    > /etc/shadow|/etc/master.passwd|/etc/whatever if you're not a privileged
    > user.  ;)
    >
    > --Ian.

    Well I never said that /etc/shadow, /etc/passwd etc. etc. were readable.
    and the stuff you stated above is not the problem here.  The software
    creates the directory with 666 perms. In that directory there is a
    users.txt and a admin.txt which both contain crypt(3) passwds.

    Here is one of the simple replies I have recieved.