Re: X-based sniffer-netxmon

From: Zhang Qianli (zhangat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 21:27:36 PDT

    On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 routeat_private wrote:

    >     Ethereal, http://ethereal.zing.org, is a stable portable network
    >     traffic analyzer running on top of tcpdump that sports a nice GTK-based
    >     interface.
    >
    >     Oh yah.  Use libnet.  http://www.packetfactory.net/libnet
    >
    > --
    --snip--
      I should say that there are two kinds of sniffer in my mind, one kind
    is packet-based, that means to analyse every packet and show their header
    and content. Tcpdump and Ethereal is such. They are best used to network
    behavior analysis tools. Another kind of sniffer is session-based, they
    will neglect packet header, only pay attention to what *content* is going
    through the network. They can be used as intrusion detection, security
    check or just for a fun, sniffit and this netxmon is such.
      BTW, there is a negligence of mine. I forget the fact that I have installed
    libpcap in every test system of mine! So if some guy find an error message
    complaining cannot find net/bpf.h , please copy the
    libpcap-possiblymodified/net/bpf.h to /usr/include/net/ , or you can
    redownload it, I have fixed this. Many thanks to Chris Riley and Gary Truslow
    to notice this.

    Zhang