Re: Windows NT Service Pack 5 Released

From: Olaf Seibert (rhialtoat_private)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 07:11:14 PDT

    On Thu, 6 May 1999, Chad Price wrote:

    > You forgot to mention that you MUST be running IE and also that the SP5 web
    > pages induce _long_ (30 seconds +) apparent lockups when downloading all
    > the pages (and before displaying their contents for you to actual read)
    > with Netscape. The NT performance monitor is pegged at 100% for this period
    > of time.
    >
    > When you eventually get to the page which allows you to download the
    > 128-bit SP is the point at which you find out that the full SP will not be
    > released until May 19th and that you must be running IE to download the
    > current version.

    I just downloaded it with Lynx. No silly pauses, and to my amazement
    the pages were fairly readable too.

    One thing I wonder about though. On the one hand it is recommended (even
    by Microsoft IIRC) not to run browsers on your NT server at all, on the
    other hand you are strongly suggested to use a browser on your NT server
    in order to update it...

    -Olaf.
    --
    ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialtoat_private ---- Unauthorized duplication,