Re: Infosec.19990305.macof.a

From: David Maxwell (davidat_private)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 18:50:53 PDT

    On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 09:15:25AM +0100, ian.vitekat_private wrote:
    > Infosec Security Vulnerability Report
    > No: Infosec.19990305.macof.a
    > =====================================
    >
    > Vulnerability Summary
    > ---------------------
    >
    > Problem:  Due to limitation with ARP/MAC-tables;
    >                switches could start sending packages to all ports,
    >                other network devices could hang, crash or reboot
    >                if they receive lots of MAC-addresses.

    This doesn't seem like a major issue, as long as
    PER PORT Mac limit < x < y < PER SWITCH Mac limit
    and y-x is a reasonable size.

    Since you can only generate Mac addresses which will be recorded
    on the port of the switch your attacking box is connected to,
    you won't be able to overload the box entirely.

    You will be able to knock valid local (i.e. on your segment) Macs
    out of the table, but this will only give the switch a little
    extra work to do (packet replication). All the traffic to or from
    hosts on the same port as you should already be sniffable anyway.
    Displacing existing Macs will disrupt traffic as mentioned, but

    it's worth noting that on some brands of VLAN capable switch,
    the same Mac can exist without conflict in more than 1 VLAN. So
    you'll only be affecting the VLAN you're connected to.

    --
    David Maxwell, davidat_private|davidat_private --> Mastery of UNIX, like
    mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,