Re: IBM eNetwork Firewall for AIX

From: Marc Heuse (marcat_private)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 15:29:25 PDT

    Hi Paul,

    > The IBM eNetwork Firewall for AIX contains some poorly written scripts,
    > which create temporary files in /tmp without making any attempt to
    > validate the existance of the file.  This allows any user with shell
    > access to such a firewall to corrupt or possibly modify system files by
    > creating links, pipes, etc with the same name.

    your are right, all their scripts have got link vulnerabilities ...

    > The problem was reported to IBM early in January.  To the best of my
    > knowledge, the correct procedures have been followed.  Initially, IBM
    > responded by telling me that it was common practice for software to make
    > use of /tmp.  They suggested changing the permissions to prevent users
    > from creating symbolic links to sensitive files.

    when I found these in an audit at a customer in february, I opened an APAR
    too, but then discovered yours. When I saw that yours was opened a month
    before mine and not being dealt with, I made noise at IBM management and
    the AIX Security Team, that they issued an emergency fix.
    But this fix only available for those who know that it exists - anyway, the
    quick fix still has /tmp races all over the place - they just added "rm -f
    file" the line before writing into it ....

    > An APAR (IR39562) was opened on 18/01/99 and closed on 13/03/99.  The
    > fix has not yet been released.  This definately applies to version 3.2,
    > and probably others.

    I heard that the next IBM Firewall version will fix this ... bah - maybe
    with that quick "fix" ...

    But to set one thing straight: It's *not* IBM's fault. The IBM Firewall is a
    product of another company called Raleigh (I hope thats spelled correctly).
    In fact, the IBM AIX Security Team, especially Troy Bollinger, was very
    helpful and getting a fix - a correct one - out. It's the other company
    who writes security software but really seems to have no knowledge.
    sad but true

    Greets,
    	Marc
    --
       Marc Heuse, SuSE GmbH, Schanzaeckerstr. 10, 90443 Nuernberg
       E@mail: marcat_private  Function: Security Support & Auditing