Re: Troff dangerous.

From: Warner Losh (impat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 09:36:01 PDT

    In FreeBSD-stable and -current, these tricks allow only tojan horses,
    but do not allow normal users to elevate their privs.  It appears that
    man doesn't run at elevated priviledge levels for execution of the
    sub-commands needed to build the man pages (despite man being setuid
    man on FreeBSD-stable/current).

    I just noticed that OpenBSD added a -S flag which completely disables
    these commands...  I think I like that, in conjunction with having man
    use that flag...

    Warner