DOS against SuSE's identd

From: Hendrik Scholz (hendrikat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 13:29:48 PDT

    Hi!

    The inetd.conf starts the identd with the options -w -t120
    -e.
    This means that one identd process waits 120 seconds after
    answering the first request to answer later request.
    Lets say we start 100 requests in a short period.
    Due to the fact that it takes time to answer one request
    more identd's will be started each eating up about 900kb
    memory and waiting 120 seconds before terminating.
    I tested this behaviour on different machines with different
    hardware (RAM, Swap, NIC).
    Each machine becomes unusable after some seconds.
    This bug is in _every_ SuSE Version at least since 4.4.
    SuSE seems not to be interested in this bug becaus they
    did not answer any of my mails.

    CU, Hendrik