Re: remote DoS against inetd and ssh

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 07:49:12 PDT

    hi,

    yeah, i noted this to the ssh development team in march, 1999. this was
    under version 1.2.26, and then 1.2.27 came out and there was no fix for
    it. i didn't BUGTRAQ it as i find such info without a real fix to be
    irresponsible. my coding sucks and i haven't been able to get my
    MaxClients parameter to work in sshd. this would then be analogous to that
    found in the apache web server. my incomplete code diffs are available to
    anyone who wants to make it work, i get errors when it forks the child
    process to handle the socket.

    an alternative i use on my servers is to install xinetd and load sshd into
    xinetd. instances control in xinetd take care of that issue. similar inetd
    replacements which have instances control would also work. be sure to use
    the "-i" flag since it's no longer standalone. a working xinetd config for
    it would look like:

    service ssh
    {
            socket_type     = stream
            protocol        = tcp
            wait            = no
            user            = root
            server          = /usr/local/sbin/sshd
            server_args     = -i
            instances       = 10
    }

    <rant>
    this is pretty irresponsible of ssh's development team to leave such an
    obvious point of trouble in their code long before i even mentioned it to
    them. the apache team noted in their configuration comments why they have
    a MaxClients type of parameter, to prevent resource exhaustion of a
    standalone daemon. sshd is reccomended to be run as standalone, and
    installs by default as standalone, their lack of observation of this
    parameter is stunning.

    i just didn't want to be party to this irresponsibility and post a DoS
    that could affect a $#@%load of machines without some real code fix. an
    %$@#load of admins use sshd on their machines for secure WAN connectivity
    and are vulnerable to this annoying DoS.
    </rant>

    sincerely,

    jose nazario					joseat_private
    PGP 2.6.2 key fingerprint: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    Public key available at http://biocserver.cwru.edu/~jose/pgp-key.asc