Re: More fun with WWWBoard

From: Patrick Oonk (patrickat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 13:42:22 PDT

    --m+jEI8cDoTn6Mu9E

    On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 03:51:09PM -0700, Mark Jeftovic wrote:
    > At 01:24 PM 9/20/99 +0100, Chris Ridd wrote:
    > >Does anyone maintain a list of WWWBoard bugs? (As Matt Wright clearly
    > >isn't interested...)
    > >
    >=20
    > Doesn't look like it. I posted a vulnerability in his guestbook script
    > to this list about 2 years ago (ironically entitled "Guestbook script
    > is still vulnerable") and looking at it today ...the guestbook script
    > is still vulnerable.

    Matt Wright is one of the worst, but check out=20
    http://www.ultimatebb.com/home/firsttimeinstall.html for a few
    good laughs:

    "UNIX and All Others: If you are installing on a UNIX-based server, you
    must set your permissions as follows:=20

    Set your NON CGI directory to 777.=20
    Set your Members Directory to 777.
    Within the Members directory, set the Admin5.cgi to 777, as well.=20
    Set your CGI Directory to 755. Within the CGI directory, set all files to 7=
    55,=20
    except for the variable files (mods.file, Styles.file, UltBB.setup
    and forums.cgi), which should be set to mode 777.=20

    If your web server does not allow you to have files set to mode 777 within=
    =20
    the CGI directory, you will need to make the changes noted here. Most web
    servers do not have this restriction. "

    Not even a note that this could be bad.

    	Patrick

    --=20
     Patrick Oonk - PO1-6BONE - patrickat_private - www.pine.nl/~patrick
     Pine Internet B.V.                            PGP key ID BE7497F1 =20
     Tel: +31-70-3111010 - Fax: +31-70-3111011 - http://www.pine.nl/
     -- Pine Security Digest - http://security.pine.nl/ (Dutch) ----
     Excuse of the day: Digital Manipulator exceeding velocity
     parameters

    --m+jEI8cDoTn6Mu9E

    --m+jEI8cDoTn6Mu9E--