Re: remote DoS against inetd and ssh

From: Stas Kisel (stasat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 22:01:43 PDT

    Sorry for old news - but there is no still any patch against this DoS
    on an official ssh site.

    > From: Jose Nazario <joseat_private>
    >
    > yeah, i noted this to the ssh development team in march, 1999. this was
    > under version 1.2.26, and then 1.2.27 came out and there was no fix for
    > it. i didn't BUGTRAQ it as i find such info without a real fix to be
    > irresponsible. my coding sucks and i haven't been able to get my
    > MaxClients parameter to work in sshd. this would then be analogous to that
    > found in the apache web server. my incomplete code diffs are available to
    > anyone who wants to make it work, i get errors when it forks the child
    > process to handle the socket.

    Unofficial quick patch is on http://sonet.crimea.ua/sshd_patch/
    Limits max connections from the same IP and max number of children
    (I didn't played with accept()/SYN/spoofing things - so last
    parameter may be more relevant).
    Parameters are hardcoded ("keep it simple, stupid" in mind).

    --
    Stas Kisel. UNIX, security, C, TCP/IP, Web. UNIX - the best adventure game
    http://www.tekmetrics.com/transcript.shtml?pid=20053 http://www.crimea.edu