Re: Win95/98 and Novell client DoS

From: Gyorgy Camaszotisz, Novell DevNet SysOp 13 (camaat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 17:01:44 PDT

    Bruce,

    > Novell client opens port 427 TCP.  My services file reports this port to be
    > known as 'svrloc'.  You can bluescreen Win95/98 with Novell Client versions
    > 3.0 and 3.0.1 by sending a SYN to this port, as you would with 'nmap -sS -p
    > 427 <target>'.  This is quite fatal.  The only recovery seems to be a power
    > reset.

    Novell always recommends using the latest client versions, which is now
    Novell Client v3.1 for Windows 95/98, plus Client Service Pack 2. See
    the full TID here:

      Required Novell Client versions  (Last modified: 4 OCT 1999)
      http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/tidfinder.cgi?2945422

    Professional network administrators use the ZENworks product to upgrade
    all clients to the latest version level at once. ZENworks Starter Pack
    and the clients can be downloaded for free, so it can be done quite
    easily, without purchasing any additional software or visiting every
    workstation for manual updates.

    I suggest you find a way to test the reported issue with the latest
    client, and blame Novell only if it is still there.

    Thanks,
    Gyorgy

       Gyorgy Camaszotisz, CNE
       Office-Net Kkt., Hungary
       Member of Novell DeveloperNet SysOp Team [#13]
    Niagara Mail Server [http://www.officenet.hu/niagara]