Re: Guestbook.pl, sloppy SSI handling in Apache? (VD#2)

From: Stephen White (swhiteat_private)
Date: Sat Nov 06 1999 - 18:31:03 PST

    Blue Boar wrote:
    > If you're running the guestbook program, AND you have HTML posting enabled
    > (this is a guestbook configuration option) AND you have SSI enabled for
    > .html files, you are vulnerable.  Other configurations may be vulnerable if
    > customizations have been made, for example modifying the guestbook.pl
    > script to write to guestbook.shtml instead of guestbook.html, and having
    > SSI enabled on .shtml files.

    Erm, isn't it standard practise not to enable SSI for .html for exactly
    this sort of reason?  When a webdesigner/sysadmin/whoever uses .shtml
    with CGI enabled they need to be aware that they are giving whoever
    generates the HTML a shell prompt, exactly like using the exec() command
    in a Perl script, etc, and the input should be checked accordingly.

    This is not a fault of Apache or even Matt's script, but of it being
    used incompetently.  It's a standard case of if you don't fully
    understand the security implictations don't change the configuration.

    BTW, I have lots of .shtml of the form <a href="someurl"><!--#include
    virtual="randimg.pl"--></a> and I certainly expect apache to run it.
    This is the correct behaviour.

    --
    Stephen White <swhiteat_private>