Re: Reinventing the wheel (aka "Decoding Netscape Mail passwords")

From: Rob Jones (robert.e.jonesat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 21:04:10 PST

    > > case Netscape needs to run out and get a bar so they can raise it.
    >
    > This is a red herring. Local secure storage of secrets in PCs without another

    I dont know if it applies to windoze but the Linux & xBSD versions of
    netscape store the 'encoded' (not encrypted) password even if
    the user never ticks the remember password box.

    Now that Netscape should fix!

    > Local secure storage of secrets is a service that needs to be provided
    > by the operating system. In the case of Windows NT you can store them
    > (with some limitations) using the Local System Authority (LSA) API. Under
    > Windows 95/98 there is an API to store secrets using the users logon password
    > (stores the secrets in .PWL files) but to my knowledge it is not documented
    > by Microsoft (although they allude to it in some early Windows 95 presentation
    > slides). Maybe someone with more knowledge of Microsoft operating systems
    > can confirm?

    Regardless of if the secrets are encoded with the users password they
    are decodable anyway. There are plenty of password extractors for .pwl files.

    Rob