Re: Password issue in Axent ESM 5.0.1 Console

From: Scott Blake (blakeat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 07:52:01 PST

    I don't understand what the security issue is here.  Sounds like ESM is
    doing a good thing by passwording the console, but has a bug in the
    password change code.  If they're using the MS Access native security,
    recovering the password is trivial, so in essence there is no security
    there at all.  One could make a case that there should be, but the bug in
    password changing is hardly relevant to that.  Finally, tech support's
    recommendation that the password be removed from the DB is perfectly
    reasonable when you consider that it is utterly useless anyway.

    -----
    Scott Blake
    blakeat_private
    Security Program Manager