Re: Future of s/key (Re: S/Key & OPIE Database Vulnerability)

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 13:23:58 PST

    > The future of s/key is probably what it always has been: an otp
    > supplement [...] regardless of [] the access method

    It's always seemed to me that s/key's biggest problem is that it's
    *not* a true one-time password scheme: the passwords are
    algorithmically related.  Indeed, I believe it's no coincidence that
    all the attacks against s/key (that I've heard of) are based on just
    this weakness.  It's very much like the difference between a
    conventional stream cipher and a one-time pad, actually.

    Of course, a true one-time password scheme (where "true" here means
    that the passwords are truly random and completely unrelated) has its
    own problems, mostly related to storing the passwords in question.
    Personally, I generate passwords by rolling dice[%] and store them on a
    small pad of paper (which I carry on my person when I travel) - not
    entirely unlike a one-time pad. :-)

    [%] And running the result through a simple hash function - more
        precisely, I generate entropy by rolling dice and generate
        passwords from that entropy by a simple encoding scheme.

    					der Mouse

    			       mouseat_private