Cobalt RaQ2 - a user of mine changed my admin password..

From: Chuck Pitre - Technical Support (chuckat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 16:29:56 PST

    Needles to say that was scary :)
    anyhow I rather feel embarrassed about this one (actually I can't believe
    I didn't think of it myself)

    I've pasted his email to me below.  I have not yet attempted to duplicate
    the bug.

    -- snip snip --
     To replicate this bug you must have Site Administrator access to one of
    the accounts on the server.  When you go into the Site Management for a
    site
    and select the User Management option, you get a list of the usernames
    that
    have been setup for that account.  The green pencil edit icon is a command
    to execute the JavaScript function modify() and it passes the username as
    the only variable into the function.  To properly execute a function from
    the Location Bar in Netscape, the HTML page has to be the top frame.  I
    simply opened the userList.html file in a new frame.  When you type
    "javascript: modify( 'admin' );" into the Location Bar, the modify()
    function returns a URL.  The URL returned when accessing it from my site
    is
    "http://207.153.19.154:81/cgi-bin/.cobalt/siteUserMod/siteUserMod.cgi?userna
    me=admin&group=site151&949015199230".  This loads a standard Modify User
    page for the "admin" account.  However, when you attempt to change this
    information by clicking the "Confirm Modify" button, it returns a
    JavaScript
    error because the function that it calls upon is dependant on the frame
    layout of the Site Management page.  To overcome this issue I simply
    downloaded two HTML files to my hard disk.  One is the index.html file,
    other other is the right.html file.  I basically changed the index.html
    file
    to call upon the URL's on my site and had it load the right.html file
    locally off my hard disk.  I then changed the right.html file to load the
    URL's on my site but changed the "main" frame source to
    "http://207.153.19.154:81/cgi-bin/.cobalt/siteUserMod/siteUserMod.cgi?userna
    me=admin&group=site151&949015199230" - the Modify User page for the
    "admin"
    account.  It then loads up with all the correct frames AND the Modify User
    page for the "admin" account.  I very simply just enter a new password for
    the user and click "Confirm Modify" and presto!  The admin password is
    changed allowing me access to the Server Management page showing all the
    server's clients, IP addresses, domain names, and ability to access all
    the
    client's contact people, telephone numbers, usernames, and passwords.  I
    also could delete any sites/files or downloaded any sites/files.  I then
    had
    full access via FTP to the site showing the root directory of the server,
    and the ability to delete any evidence via the /log/ directory.

        I hope this answers any of the questions you had, and the whole
    process
    took me under 5 minutes!

    -- snip snip --

    the users email address is skirkhamat_private if you have any
    questions about it...

         ----->One Connection, A Million Places To Go<-----

                          Chuck Pitre
              OA Group of Technologies, Internet Division
                         Network Operations

    (780) 425-5151 ext 556 telephone
    (780) 425-3852 fax
    1-888-663-1336 Toll Free