Re: "Strip Script Tags" in FW-1 can be circumvented

From: James Lin (jamesat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 11:55:02 PST

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Jonah Kowall wrote:

    > 	I don't consider this a bug in FW-1, but a bug in the products
    > navigator, and internet explorer.  These tags shouldn't be parsed, because

    	Perhaps a bug or feature - they are adhering to the principle of
    "flexible in what you accept." Browsers have always given a lot of leeway to
    poorly written HTML and scripts, and authors expect them to behave that way
    (whether that is good or bad is another debate)

    The firewall should be just as flexible in order to recognize all errors. In
    this case I expect firewall to either strip the SCRIPT tag, or deny access to
    this document because it contains illegal HTML - just as it would if the user
    tried to access a malformed URL.

    Keep in mind exploits often take advantage of bugs or deficiences in
    protocols, and isn't that what a firewall is supposed to protect
    against? :=)

    -James