Re: Bypass Virus Checking

From: David Harley (harleyat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 23:58:19 PST

    > response. Oh, and in case you're wondering, there was only a difference
    > of one byte between our copies of EICAR.COM. Mine terminated in an <LF>,
    > Ed's in a <CR><LF>.

    That can be significant. There've been quite a few differences in
    implementation in detection of the EICAR test file over the years,
    and it's been known for a product to fail precisely because of
    the length of the file. Other anomalies have included a
    surprising degree of pattern-matching fuzziness, and undue
    flexibility about positioning. The spec. requires the EICAR
    string to be right at the beginning of the file, but doesn't
    specify whether anything can follow it. There was even an
    instance a few years back of a scanner which alerted on an
    informatory text file containing the EICAR string somewhere in
    the middle.

    Hopefully, all current scanners handle the EICAR string
    'correctly'. But I wouldn't bet the family jewels on it.

    You're right, by the way: there is anti-virus software
    which only scans a file for known viruses if integrity
    checking flags a change.

    --
    David Harley <D.Harleyat_private>
    <harleyat_private> | <D_Harleyat_private>