Re: Novell BorderManager 3.5 Remote Slow Death

From: Ron van Daal (ronvdaalat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 04:53:50 PST

    Hello,

    I experienced the same problem with several servers running NetWare 5.0
    sp4 and BorderManager 3.0 (Enterprise Edition). I discovered this bug
    a few months ago when doing a NMAP scan. When opening a telnet session
    to TCP port 2000 and hitting enter, the NetWare server gives the same
    Short Term MAlloc error you describe, with the difference that it starts
    with a few million attempts to get more memory.

    --
    Ron van Daal          | Syntonic Internet | tel. +31(0)46-4230738
    ronvdaalat_private | www.syntonic.net  | fax. +31(0)46-4230739

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Chicken Man wrote:

    > 1-27-2000   9:34:47 am:   SERVER-5.0-830  [nmID=2000A]
    >     Short Term Memory Allocator is out of Memory.
    >     1 attempts to get more memory failed.
    >
    > The telnet session will not disconnect, unless you manually close the
    > connection. Over the course of two days (every few minutes or so, YMMV) the
    > error will repeat, with the number of attempts steadily increasing (by
    > several million each time). Eventually (again, for us it was two days, YMMV)
    > the firewall will deny all requests, and eventually crash completely.

    Our NetWare servers didn't crash, because I took the servers down
    after noticing the MAlloc error.

    > <RANT>
    > Why is the port even accessable from the outside (or the inside for that
    > matter)? The default BorderManager packet filtering rules indictate that
    > pretty much everything is being passed. Why is the NLM loaded by default?
    > Tcpcon shows various other services running that shouldn't be either
    > (c27-2000   9:34:47 am:   SERVER-5.0-830  [nmID=2000A]
    >     Short Term Memory Allocator is out of Memory.
    >     1 attempts to get more memory failed.

    I can't find any vulnerabilities in the other services (chargen,
    echo, discard, etc). Try FILTCFG.NLM to disable these services.

    -Ron