Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: Julien Nadeau (julienat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 10:44:09 PST

    > You know if anyone was of a mind to find someone at fault over this,
    > I'd start pointing the finger at ISP's who haven't been doing this
    > due to "performance reasons".  They've had the ability to do it for
    > years and in doing so would seriously reduce the number and possibility
    > of "spoofing" attacks.

    Agreed, I myself work for an ISP which provides co-location services,
    and at first most admins (with years of experience might i add), just
    don't
    cared much about what's going out.  When I got them all to filter
    outgoing
    packets, traffic dropped.

    A solution would be for kernels to provide an option to keep a local
    IP lookup table which could be simply based on network interfaces; of
    course, given an stable implementation, this option enabled by default
    would take care of spoofing problems for admins who don't think much
    about what they're sending out -- i mean, they're big part of the
    problem.