Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: Homer Wilson Smith (homerat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:16:14 PST

        Ingress/egress filters can be problematic, its not just a performance
    problem.  With upstream providers being real harsh on handing out IP
    ranges, and insisting that every IP subnet be used regardless of how many
    criss cross routes we have to put in our many routers to do it, the access
    lists also become complicated and prone to error.

        One can be unforgiving and say "So what, its the ISP's job to do it
    right." but many ISP's opt to keep it simple. For example presently we
    have filters on our border routers, but not our inner routers which have
    complex criss cross routing tables as we send subnets in every which
    direction.  Thus presumably our customers can spoof each other, but not
    the external world.

        If it gets out of hand we will take the next step.

        Of course you are right though, much of the way to keep people from
    coming in and doing damage is for everyone to make sure their customers
    can't get out and do damage.  This is really the only workable model for
    stopping spam, you stop it going out, as stopping it from coming in is
    hopeless.

        Homer

    Homer Wilson Smith   Clear Air, Clear Water,  Art Matrix - Lightlink
    (607) 277-0959       A Green Earth and Peace. Internet Access, Ithaca NY
    homerat_private  Is that too much to ask? http://www.lightlink.com