TrendMicro OfficeScan tmlisten.exe DoS

From: Jeff Stevens (JStevensat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 14:10:17 PST

    While playing around with nmap I managed to pull down a bunch of our NT
    workstations running OfficeScan.  This could potentially be used as a DoS
    attack to bring down any NT machine running OfficeScan.  I used the
    following command where machine.domain.com is a Windows NT machine running
    either SP 4 or 5 or a Win2k RC3 box.

    nmap -sT -O -p 12345 machine.domain.com

    One of three things can happen:

    	(1)	Nothing -- rare but it does happen.
    	(2)	The machine slows to a halt as tmlisten.exe pulls 100% CPU.
    	(3)	Visual C++ error as tmlisten.exe crashes.

    OfficeScan 3.5, scan engine 5.100 and pattern file 663 are running on the
    target machine.  (all current)

    I can also make the process dump with a Visual C++ error if I send a bunch
    of data via telnet.

    Upon contacting Trend via phone, they said they were aware of a similar
    problem with earlier versions but version 3.5 has been fixed.  They are
    looking into it.

    Curious if anyone else can recreate this?  Or give me a set of addresses and
    I'll see if I can!  :^)

    Jeff Stevens
    Network Administrator
    Civil/Mechanical Engineering