Re: All the recent SQL vulnerabilities

From: Signal 11 (signal11at_private)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 20:45:23 PST

    > something or are the database queries not doing the moral equivilent of
    > running everything as root and hoping the, usually sadly lacking, input
    > validation saves the system?

    Nope, you're not missing a thing.  Most databases have poor access
    controls - the only ones you're going to see Real Security(tm) on will
    be military/government systems and financial institutions and other
    systems in need of serious access control and auditing.

    Keep in mind that for database standards and stuff, DoS attacks and
    web-integration is still kind of a new thing - the protocols were never
    designed to do what they're doing these days.. security wasn't a
    consideration 5 years ago because making your internal data available
    to the world was considered ludicrious - and most companies think
    username/password combos with read/write/update (etc) rights was
    a "good enough" solution... :(  And for some environments, you can
    trust a simple configuration like that. If you unplug your system,
    lock it in a safe in which only you have the key, and the root password
    is root1root it's still a damn secure setup..  NT's "c2 rating" comes
    to mind. :)

    I don't know.  Anyone care to comment on the security features of
    other databases?