Re: Double clicking on innocent looking files may be dangerous

From: Michael C. Bazarewsky (BazarewskyM@SOFTWARE-ANSWERS.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 13:47:27 PDT

    I believe the true source of this issue may be Explorer not properly
    checking to see if a "directory junction point" / "folder junction point" is
    really a folder or is a file.  The "FolderName.{CLSID}" syntax for creating
    a folder junction point has been around since Win95 and is documented in
    MSDN; see for example

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/shellcc/shell/Shell_Adv/nse_junction.
    htm

    or

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period96/S332.htm

    Doing the same operation with a folder instead of a file, in this case using
    the HTML Application CLSID, leads to an IE error message.

    I'm not going to get into whether the folder-level functionality should
    exist in this fashion or not.

    -- Mike Bazarewsky