RE: W2k: Unkillable Applications

From: Snow, Corey (CSNOWat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 14:06:20 PDT

    I can confirm this; I created a simple Win32 app named "Winlogon.exe" and
    Task Manager refused to terminate it. However, I discovered something
    interesting: Microsoft's "kill" utility will terminate the faux
    winlogon.exe, but will not terminate the real one.

    See below- pid 1692 is the pid for my fake winlogon.exe. When the 'kill'
    command was executed, the process died right there with no fuss. However,
    188 is the pid for the real winlogon.exe. Despite what it says about the
    'NetDDE Agent' being killed, the winlogon.exe process continues to run just
    fine, and one can actually issue a kill command repeatedly with the same
    results. So far, it does not seem to have affected the operation of my
    system in any way whatsoever.

    Corey M. Snow- csnowat_private
    Senior Web Developer, Washington Dental Service
    (206) 528-7361, Mobile (360) 481-2563
    FAX: (206) 985-4939
    Web: http://www.deltadentalwa.com

    ----

    C:\TEMP>kill 1692
    process WinLogon.exe (1692) - 'WinLogonTest' killed

    C:\TEMP>kill 188
    process WINLOGON.EXE (188) - 'NetDDE Agent' killed

    C:\TEMP>
    ----

    The information contained in this e-mail and subsequent attachments may be privileged,
    confidential and protected from disclosure.  This transmission is intended for the sole
    use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
    recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
    think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above
    e-mail address.