MALWARE HOAX FW: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-039

From: Robert D. Hughes (robat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 20:34:07 PDT

    First of all, here's the headers:

    Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1337 13:37:37 +1337
    From: secnotifat_private
    To: robat_private
    Subject: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-039

    Now, they've obviously taken an actual MS bulleting and used the text, right
    down including a pgp key and they've incremented it from the previous
    bulletin. The first thing I noticed is that the entire message is
    double-spaced. Not a lot, but it was different from every other bulletin I've
    gotten. The obvious give away is the address they've used to for the fix, as
    well specifying a particular file to download. The bulletin page of course is
    404.

    The netblock is owned by LYCOS in Europe and points to a tripod page, with an
    att.net account used to send the mail, and relevant parties have been cc'ed
    as well. And apparently the user name associated with the site is hicagogppr.

    From my limited experience, I can tell very little about the file other than
    it appears to connect to a remote web site. This comes from running strings
    against the file. It also appears to go after napster and icq accounts, but I
    can't tell what else it does. I think the most important thing is that
    scanning it with the latest virus signatures from Norton comes up clean, so a
    user would not be notified that they are running an infected file.

    If someone with the knowledge and experience will, please do a full analysis
    on this and let me know what it is. I'm pretty much a rank newbie at this, as
    you can probably tell ;) I searched the bugtraq archives, but didn't find
    anything on this, so if its known, I apologize.

    Thanks,
    Rob