Re: MALWARE HOAX FW: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-039

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 04:33:17 PDT

    "Robert D. Hughes" wrote:

    > First of all, here's the headers:
    <<snip>>
    > Now, they've obviously taken an actual MS bulleting and used the text, right
    > down including a pgp key and they've incremented it from the previous
    > bulletin. The first thing I noticed is that the entire message is
    > double-spaced. Not a lot, but it was different from every other bulletin I've
    > gotten. The obvious give away is the address they've used to for the fix, as
    > well specifying a particular file to download. The bulletin page of course is
    > 404.

    Apart from the double-spacing and the 404 error on the non-existant
    security bulletin, this same trick was used a few days (week?) ago
    to advertise/distribute a (then) new Win32/Leave variant (that worm
    that spreads via SubSeven machines that the NIPC were so worked up
    about a couple of weeks back).

    > The netblock is owned by LYCOS in Europe and points to a tripod page, with an
    > att.net account used to send the mail, and relevant parties have been cc'ed
    > as well. And apparently the user name associated with the site is hicagogppr.
    >
    > From my limited experience, I can tell very little about the file other than
    > it appears to connect to a remote web site. This comes from running strings
    > against the file. It also appears to go after napster and icq accounts, but I
    > can't tell what else it does. I think the most important thing is that
    > scanning it with the latest virus signatures from Norton comes up clean, so a
    > user would not be notified that they are running an infected file.
    >
    > If someone with the knowledge and experience will, please do a full analysis
    > on this and let me know what it is. I'm pretty much a rank newbie at this, as
    > you can probably tell ;) I searched the bugtraq archives, but didn't find
    > anything on this, so if its known, I apologize.
    <<snip>>

    Sounds like a new Leave variant.  Please send a copy to your
    preferred antivirus vendor.  To possibly save you the search time,
    the sample submission addresses of the better-known developers are:

       Command Software               <virusat_private>
       Computer Associates (US)       <virusat_private>
       Computer Associates (Vet/IPE)  <ipevirusat_private>
       DialogueScience (Dr.Web)       <Antivirat_private>
       Eset (NOD32)                   <trnkaat_private>
       F-Secure Corp.                 <samples@f-secure.com>
       Frisk Software                 <viruslabat_private>
       Kaspersky Labs                 <newvirusat_private>
       Network Associates (US)        <virus_researchat_private>
       Norman (NVC)                   <analysisat_private>
       Sophos Plc.                    <supportat_private>
       Symantec                       <avsubmitat_private>
       Trend Micro                    <virus_doctorat_private>

    --
    Nick FitzGerald
    Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.