Re: Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: antirez (antirezat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 12:32:23 PDT

    On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:39:06PM -0400, Richard M. Smith wrote:
    > This $20 million figure begs the question was it really
    > necessary for eEye Digital Security to release full details
    > of the IIS buffer overflow that made the Code Red I and II worms
    > possible?  I think the answer is clearly no.

    The 'no' answer is clear only for you (and few additional people).

    1) The next time the code red authors may be the same guys
       that discovered the vulnerability, so your no-disclosure policy
       fails anyway, while it creates the condition to make the next worm
       more aggressive, see the next points.
    2) Full disclosure provide to the comunity a lot of information
       and expirience to make better protecion, more secure code
       and security culture around the world. Also create the 'case'
       and the customers will think that maybe that vendor does not
       provide very secure code. This should stimulate the vendor
       to write better code.
    3) The lacks of full disclosure and proof of concepts exploit
       helps to create an unsane security feeling about the actual
       software, sysadmin will probably be less responsive upgrading
       they systems so when we reach the point 1) the result is very
       catastrophic.
    4) A motivated attacker can anyway obtain information
       about the vulnerability examining the patch in the case of
       opensource software (or the differences between the last and the current
       version), so this (dont) works only for proprietary software,
       without to consider that it is anyway possible to guess
       informations about the vulnerability with two different
       binaries (one patched the second vulnerable).

    regards,
    antirez

    --
    Salvatore Sanfilippo <antirezat_private>
    http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez