RE: Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: Guy Helmer (ghelmerat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 14:20:26 PDT

    On Friday, August 10, 2001 1:39 PM Richard M. Smith
    <rmsat_private> wrote:
    > The research company Computer Economics is calling Code Red
    > the most expensive computer virus in the history of the Internet.
    > They put the estimated clean-up bill so far at $2 billion.
    > ... [W]as it really
    > necessary for eEye Digital Security to release full details
    > of the IIS buffer overflow that made the Code Red I and II worms
    > possible?  I think the answer is clearly no.
    >
    > Wouldn't it have been much better for eEye to give the details
    > of the buffer overflow only to Microsoft?

    History has shown that this approach allows vendors to procrastinate.  As a
    result, black hats are free to exploit the vulnerability until the vendor
    releases the fix.  Recent disclosures of vulnerabilities without exploit
    information have demonstrated that knowledge of the vulnerability often
    quickly leads to black hat exploitation of the vulnerability without the
    benefit of providing enough information for the white hats to take immediate
    protective measures. (E.g., it appeared to me that the recent telnetd
    vulnerability in multiple systems was quickly exploited after the
    vulnerability was announced but before the white hats even had a copy of the
    exploit code.)

    However, in the Code Red case, IIRC Microsoft released a fix for the IDA
    vulnerability back in mid-June shortly after the eEye disclosure.  All else
    aside, Code Red has served as a beneficial wake-up call to everyone to
    become more diligent at maintaining their systems.  Code Red has exposed a
    lot of problems in a lot of vendor's equipment (HP laser printers, Cisco DSL
    routers, etc.) and in the long run this exposure will improve the state of
    security on such systems.

    > ... I realized that a partial
    > disclosure policy isn't as sexy as a full disclosure policy, but
    > I believe that less revealing eEye advisory would have saved a lot
    > companies a lot of money and grief.

    Vendors would save everyone a lot of money and grief by providing better
    systems in the first place.  Perfection is impossible, but excellence is
    achievable and necessary for vendors who claim high availability and
    security (c.f. OpenBSD).  Also, we apparently need an automated update
    infrastructure to correct code vulnerabilities for those who pay little or
    no attention to the security maintenance aspects of their systems (c.f.
    ~300000 compromised Windows systems)...

    Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
    My comments do not represent the position of my employer.