Re: Can we afford full disclosure of security holes?

From: Chris Wolfe (9cw4at_private)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:20:02 PDT

    I assume this complaint is regarding eEye's initial advisory, rather than
    their later-published analysis of Code Red.

    Given the contents of Microsoft's advisory and a decent debugger,
    identifying and developing an exploit for the overflow is not overly
    difficult. Potentially time-consuming, but not terrible complicated.

    Moreover, unless I am misreading the analyses, the original eEye exploit
    uses a jump to a header containing a slide to execute code, while RedAlert
    jumps to the request body via msvcrt. Hardly closely related approaches. I
    would strongly question the assumption that RedAlert and variants were all
    based on the code released by eEye.

    I would like to thank the folks at eEye for providing full advisories of
    security issues. As the one responsible for regression testing around here,
    knowing the actual flaws makes it much easier (i.e. possible).

    Chris