Lotus Domino DoS

From: Ian Gulliver (ianat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 14:19:32 PDT

    Problem:
    --------
    Some oddly formed mail envelopes can cause Lotus Domino to
    enter a mail routing loop and consume 100% CPU.

    ------------
    When a message is sent to a Lotus Domino server with an
    envelope similar to:

    MAIL FROM:<bounce@[127.0.0.1]>
    RCPT TO:<addressat_private>

    where domain.com is not local to the server in question,
    the server attempts to bounce the message, and the bounce
    goes into a loop, constantly being sent back to the same
    server.

    Versions Affected:
    ------------------
    Confirmed on Lotus Domino R4.63, R5.01, R5.05 and R5.08

    Solution:
    ---------
    Shut down the mail server, delete the offending message
    from queue and restart the server.  This won't stop the
    exact same thing from happening again.

    Notes:
    ------
    I don't run Lotus Domino myself.  I run the ORBZ project,
    and this was reported to us because our scanner
    generates this sort of envelope.  Investigation of
    versions and solutions provided by Matt Dearmon of CPA
    Systems <mattat_private>.

    Ian Gulliver
    ORBZ