Re: easy remote detection of a running tripwire for webpages system

From: Gabriel Lawrence (gabeat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 20:28:49 PDT

    This capability is controlled by the ServerTokens directive in apache.
    You can turn off the overly informative server line using this directive:

    ServerTokens Prod

    As a side note, if you don't do this the server line will contain other
    useful tidbits like what version of PHP, mod_jk and mod_jrun your Apache
    server is running (if you are running these things of course.) All of
    this information is something a crafty program could use to find a
    vulnerable server assuming a specific version of one of these things has
    a vulnerability of interest.

    -gabe

    --
    There is a fine line between coincidence and destiny.